Wednesday, May 4, 2011

In Just One Year!


In Just One Year!


adriensignup.jpg
Adrien Sherry (centre) signs up for her first 5K.

success-stories.jpg

Adrien Sherry, from Kensington, P.E.I. talks about how she went from zero to 5K in one year.

By Adrien Sherry

What a difference a year can make!

That's my first thought when I look back at pictures from my first five kilometre race.

Since June of last year I've made some enormous changes to my eating and exercising habits.

I was overweight, at just around 200 pounds and although I was active, I was out of shape and had no real exercise plan. Then I joined the Learn to Run program led by Lynn Anne Hogan and Ronda Bellefontaine.

We started Learn to Run by walking, yes walking just three minutes fast and then one minute at a regular pace. I often took my two boys in our double stroller, they loved going to "running club" and they really loved the snacks afterwards!

We gradually built up our running and I attempted my first five kilometre race in June. My plan was to run for five minutes then walk for one minute, and to finish in less than 40 minutes.

I can't explain the sense of pride I felt running in that race, there were many times when tears were in my eyes.

I passed the finish line at 32:50 and experienced my first "runners high."

I was hooked!

Over the summer our group kept running together. I met so many amazing people, and made some friends for life. And to celebrate the anniversary of my first five kilometre race, on June 19th I will run a half marathon (21 km.)

I don't know how to express the impact a support network has had on my life and the lives of my family. Because they were all so accepting of me, I had the courage to start. They were there to help me with the double stroller and when I was a little behind someone was always there to run with me.

It's very scary to start a new activity when you are overweight and out of shape but they knew I could do it, even before I knew I could do it.

Now here I am, I've lost over 40 pounds and I'm training for a half marathon.

I have a mantra that keeps me motivated, "If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten."

So come on Canada, it's time to do something new, LIVE RIGHT NOW!!!

Want to start running? Check out part one of our Live Right Now running guide to get started.

No comments: