Tuesday, August 25, 2009

P.E.I.'s 1st medal golden at Canada Games

Matthew Caseley wins Gold in Hammer Throw

P.E.I.'s 1st medal golden at Canada Games

Matthew Caseley speaks to the CBC after his golden performance in the hammer throw event Tuesday at the Canada Games. Matthew Caseley speaks to the CBC after his golden performance in the hammer throw event Tuesday at the Canada Games.

(CBC)
The host province of this year's Canada Games won its first medal Tuesday with a golden effort from Prince Edward Island's Matthew Caseley.

Caseley, of French River, captured the gold Tuesday afternoon in the hammer throw at UPEI Alumni Canada Games Place. The 21-year-old was in fifth place going into the final.

"I knew I was fairly close to a medal, but the gold? I was not expecting that whatsoever," an ecstatic Caseley told CBC News.

Fellow Islander Kurt McCormack followed up Caseley's win with a bronze medal in the triple jump. McCormack, 21, from Souris, attends Dickinson State University in North Dakota.

The national sporting event showcasing Canada's amateur athletes is taking place in P.E.I. until Aug. 29.

No comments: