Monday, June 8, 2009

Thrilling finish to opening stage - Bronzini edges out Mustonen in final sprint


Italy’s Giorgia Bronzini, left, edges out Sara Mustonen of Sweden in a close finish to win Stage 1 of the 2009 Tour de P.E.I. in Summerside on Sunday afternoon.

Italy’s Giorgia Bronzini, left, edges out Sara Mustonen of Sweden in a close finish to win Stage 1 of the 2009 Tour de P.E.I. in Summerside on Sunday afternoon.

Thrilling finish to opening stage
Bronzini edges out Mustonen in final sprint

JASON SIMMONDS
The Journal Pioneer


SUMMERSIDE -- The opening stage of the 2009 Tour de P.E.I. literally came down to a photo finish.
Giorgia Bronzini of the Specialized Mazda Samson team edged out Sara Mustonen of Team Hitec Products UCK in a thrilling sprint to the finish line to conclude the 99.13-kilometre event throughout the streets of Summerside on Sunday afternoon.
"I wanted to do well in the final sprint," said the 25-year-old Bronzini, who won the bronze medal at the 2007 world championship and was presented with the yellow jersey for today's time trials on Confederation Bridge, which begin at 11 a.m.
"Winning the first stage was very important because time trials are very difficult for me," added Bronzini, who won Stages 3 and 5 in the first-ever Tour de P.E.I. in 2007.
The cyclists circled the 9.9-kilometre circuit 10 times. In the end, it was Bronzini finishing about half a tire ahead of Mustonen as they led a large group charging to the finish line.
"It was a close call and I almost crashed a couple of hundred metres back (from the finish line)," said Mustonen, 28, who resides in Stockholm. "I was able to make it to the finish line, but just didn't have enough. It was quite nervous at the finish line."
The winning time was announced at two hours 28 minutes 46 seconds. Hanka Kupfernagel of the German national team was third. Jenny Trew of Canadian National Cycling received the blue jersey for top Canadian. Nathalie Lamborelle of Team Uniqa was presented with the red jersey for top sprinter.
Bronzini explained her strategy was to stay close to the leaders and put herself in a good position for the final sprint.
"I had lots of power for the finish," she added.
Mustonen is visiting Canada for the first time.
"I didn't know what to expect really, but it all worked out well," said Mustonen. "I'm hoping to be put in a good time trial as well, but this course suits me as well."

Weather conditions
Bronzini said Sunday's wind was a bit of a factor while Mustonen felt it wasn't.
"It (wind) was good for me," Bronzini added. "I want to be here and it is good training for me because the wind was very strong. . . It's difficult when you have the wind on your rear tires."
This is the third year for the five-stage Tour de P.E.I. After today's 12.9-kilometre trip across Confederation Bridge, the third stage will consist of a 120.21-kilometre course from Kensington to North Rustico on Tuesday. Stage 4 is 120 kilometres through Dalvay, Georgetown and Montague. The final stage is the 49.5-kilometre Charlottetown Criterium Race on Thursday evening.

jpsports@journalpioneer.com

No comments: