Saturday, March 8, 2008

Thank You PEI RoadRunners - Volunteer of the Year

(Debbie Hughes, Rob MacKenzie, me, Alex)


The Gemini Screen Printing & Embroidery Volunteer of the Year award for 2007 is presented to Janet Bain.

A couple of years ago, the Club added a very enthusiastic new member. What we didn't realize was that we got a 2 for 1 deal. Along with Alex, came his mother Janet (JYPSY) Bain. She is an incredible support to Alex taking him to EVERY running event on the Island.

Now that Alex is an experienced RoadRuneer, Janet has more time on her hands on Saturday mornings and is more than willing to fill any role that is asked of her in supporting our races. She helps with registration, water stops, finish line photos, results, and what ever else is needed. She also has a car trunk full of supplies that has been called upon on more than one occasion!


However, her volunteer efforts do not stop when the race is over. Her efforts, along with Alex, in maintaining the RUNMAN BLOG are much appreciated by runners, and it has become a reading staple for many of us. She and Alex do such a great job in keeping us up to date on all running, sporting events (and the occasional autism detour) that out Newsletter Editor (Kim) has thrown in the towel trying to keep up with them.


Congratulations Janet on winning the Gemini Screen Printing and Embroidery Volunteer-of-the-Year award. Thanks for all your contributions to our RoadRunners Club!



I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the PEI RoadRunners. It is an honour to serve you. You are a wonderful bunch of people and I am pleased and proud to be able to give back to a community that has demonstrated so much acceptance, accommodation and inclusion. These values, and so many more positive ones, are extended not only to Alex and I and exist not only on race days and in running situations but appear to be pervasive in your lives. I am only too happy to support you in any way I can.

To all race directors - if you need my help please just ask. It's pretty much a given that I'll be there and although my least favourite thing to do is finish line results/times, if needed I can and have done that too. Put out a call for volunteers on the RoadRunner's Message Board, contact me directly at jypsy@isn.net or just grab me when I show up. So many of you do so much more than I do in your volunteer capacity, organizing and pulling of each race, my hat is off to you all.

Special thanx to Jamie and Deborah Mutch, volunteers extraordinaire, for your very warm welcome in the beginning and your ongoing encouragement and support.

To the PEI RoadRunners executive - your shoe choice was not at all lost on me and only emphasizes how accepting and accommodating you are! Well done. Made my night! (You will note, in the photo up top, that I'm not *always* bare foot.....)

Congratulations to the 2007 RoadRunner Award Winners
  • Male RoadRunner of the Year - Stanley Chaisson
  • Female RoadRunner of the Year - Shelley Simmons-MacLeod
  • Junior Male RoadRunner of the Year - Colin Power
  • Junior Female RoadRunner of the Year - Sandra Gregory
  • Rookie(s) of the Year - Male: Chris Matters - Female: Athena Doyle
  • Most Improved Runner - Monique Kaye
  • Ewen Stewart Inspirational Runner of the Year - Sara Deveau

No comments: